Keyword level tracking is accomplished with NinjaTrack in 5 easy steps!
1. Set up Dynamic Pool source tracking. To track at the keyword level, you'll need to select a dynamic pool when setting up your client's tracking phone number:
Why a pool? Otherwise you would need a different phone number displayed on your client's website for every source you're tracking and each single unique keyword at any given time. Essentially, you'd need 100's of unique phone numbers for even medium size accounts which obviously isn't practical! With a pool, you just need a unique phone number for every unique site visitor coming in from the source(s) you're tracking.
When your client receives a call via a number in their dynamic pool, NinjaTrack knows which visitor it was assigned to, and we associate that call to the source and keyword the caller used to find your client. When the visitor is finished browsing their website, we free up that phone number so it can be assigned to another visitor.
2. Determine pool size. How big should the pool be? Big enough to hold all your friends and family who are going to show up on the hottest summer day of course! Seriously, determining your pool size is easy, and NinjaTrack does not require a minimum pool size. In order to ensure accurate keyword level tracking you need enough phone numbers in your pool for each concurrent visitor to your client's website. For example, if your client's peak hour is 20 visitors, then a 5 number pool should be sufficient (20/4). Surprisingly it has everything to do with web traffic and nothing to do with call volume. You can estimate how many simultaneous visitors to your client's website like this:
- Go to their Google Analytics account
- Filter by source+medium down to the relevant segments (for example, if you are tracking Google AdWords and Bing Ads visitors then view traffic only for AdWords and Bing Ads)
- Chart their traffic hourly for the past two weeks
- Determine their peak hour and set their pool size equal to the number of visitors during that peak hour divided by four.
3. Pop in your dynamic number insertion (DNI) script. Copy and paste the DNI script into the bottom of the html for your client's website, before the </body> tag of each page on which you want to implement dynamic number replacement. Note the DNI script is unique per client, not per tracking number.
4. Enable your ad URL(s) for keyword tracking
- Google AdWords: Make sure auto-tagging is on in your client's AdWords account. You can check whether auto-tagging is on, as well as turn it on or off, by clicking the Billing, Account settings, and Help menu (), selecting Account settings, then looking at the Tracking section of the Preferences page.
- Bing Ads: Make sure auto-tagging on in your client's Bing Ads account. Click the gear icon , and then click Accounts & Billing. Select an account from the drop-down list at the top of the page. On the Accounts tab, click the edit icon . Next to Auto-tagging, select Add UTM tags to my destination URLs. Choose to either replace all existing tags, or instead keep the tags already in place and have Bing Ads add any that are missing. Click Save.
- Other advertisers: Append a keyword URL tracking parameter to the ad's URL through the respective advertising service.
5. Get busy! Now that you know what keywords are driving phone calls you can generate more leads at a lower cost per lead for your clients! You'll find keyword information on your client dashboards (Calls tab) and you can bring it into reports via the Phone Call Report widget.